A living will is a written statement of your health care wishes should you become seriously ill and unable to communicate. The document is designed to provide guidance to a representative of your choosing to make healthcare decisions for you or to the attending physician if there is no health care agent. The living will can also include:
- The ability of your representative to access medical records, transfer you to a different facility or to another state, and/or ability to authorize a do not resuscitate order;
- Directions as to providing or withdrawing artificial nutrition and hydration;
- Directions as to pain medications;
- Religious beliefs that might impact medical treatment; and
- Instructions for funeral and burial services.